The Worlds Easest Victoria sponge cake recipe with grams, ounces & cups conversions

Hello all,
It is my twin boys Tom and Harry's 10th birthday today and I posted a picture of their cakes on twitter as I made them. I was asked for the recipe which I am going to share here as it's really easy and foolproof. It is the same method I have used since I was a child and is no fuss or fail factor involved.
















You will need an electric mixer (handheld or stand), two cake tins 20-cm/8-inch (I use silicone ones as they need no greasing or lining!), Cake rack (an oven shelf will do if you don't have one).

Turn the oven on to preheat at 180 C/350 F/Gas mark4 (if it is a fan oven reduce the heat slightly)

This is in cups for Sara (@roseetpink off twitter).

1 cup of butter/margerine
1 cup of caster sugar
2 cups of cake/self raising flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 eggs

I fill with raspberry jam and butter cream but some use whipped cream. You can dust with powdered sugar I use water icing on top. (let your imagination go wild!!!).

1. Put all the ingredients into your mixing bowl, dry on the bottom and wet on the top.
2. mix with electric mixer till smooth.
3. divide between the cake pans.
4. put in the middle of the oven for 25-30 mins.
You will know when it is done as if you lightly touch the top it will bounce back. it will be golden brown in colour and coming away from the edges slightly. 

DO NOT WORRY IF IT IS UNEVEN, SUNKEN OR NOT PRETTY, ICING WILL COVER A MULTITUDE OF SINS!!

Here is the recipe again in imperial and metric.

175g/6oz butter, softened or margarine (stork is very good)
175g/6oz caster sugar
175g/6oz self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 eggs

Let me know what you all think? see you soon




Rose xxx





Popular Posts